Thursday, August 26, 2010

Homeschooling

We started homeschooling Vanessa this past September. We had always known we wanted to homeschool but always thought it would be later on. We are a very close family and after Jay was born it was difficult for Vanessa to be away from us. Being an only child for 8 1/2 years made it extremely hard for her to adjust to a sibling. Then the whole stupid swine flu pandemic hit.  Local schools were vaccinating children for H1N1, some without parents consent. Not cool. If my daughter came home telling me that somebody stuck her with a needle all hell might have broken loose. Top all that off with the fact that she developed a urinary tract infection because she doesn't/couldn't/wouldn't use school bathrooms was enough for me to decide it was time to try homeschooling. We pulled her out of 3rd grade 3 weeks into the school year.



Needless to say it was a rough year.....new baby, the added stress of two children home all day, trying to figure out which homeschooling method worked best for us, wondering if we were setting ourselves up for failure, dealing with other peoples questions about our decision. It was definitely trying at times.

With the year behind us I can honestly say it was one of the best decisions we have ever made. Homeschooling isn't for everyone but it really works for us. I feel public schools are not what they used to be and Vanessa is better off at home, with us, learning. My only issue with homeschooling is "me" time. Separating myself from being a mom, a teacher, a wife, a homemaker. I wear a lot of hats but I have to remember the Jackie hat! If momma aint happy nobody is happy right! We thankfully have worked on that so I now will have time to work on my photography hobby, read a book or  do whatever my little heart pleases.

(Yes, she has mascara on. She likes "playing" with makeup. Mommy hates it but we all did it right?)

I feel so much more confident going into our second year and am so excited. My girl is getting so big and she is so smart it really is a privilege to teach her.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for commenting on my blog! You have such a pretty girl!! =)

    ReplyDelete