Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Baby Led Weaning

So I have discussed before on the blog that I make Jaysens baby food myself. So far he has done great with the purees. Then last week, out of nowhere, he decided that he no longer liked them. Everytime I would try to spoon feed him he would shake his head no, smile and turn his head. I don't know about you but it seemed like a clear message that he was done with me feeding him purees. At this point in time he had solids on a regular basis but most of his food came from purees.  Off I went to google and apparently there is a name for the way in which I was forced into feeding him.

Baby led weaning by definition means gradually weaning the baby from a milk diet onto solid foods, all along the child is controlling his intake of food by self-feeding.  Basically you give your child real solid food, they eat what they want (which isn't much at first) and milk is their main source of food. After awhile the child gradually eats more solids and drinks less milk. So far its going well but I feel that we have definitely reverted back to breast-feeding a little bit more since he isn't ingesting much food at once.  I have to say Jaysen loves this way of eating, he was ready and he let me know! I will leave you with a video of him eating his waffles and bananas. So cute, my boy is getting so big!



No comments:

Post a Comment