Wednesday, June 23, 2010

What Should We Do Wednesday!


Now that school is out for the summer we all have to find a way to keep our little ones busy. I will be posting a fun activity to do with the kiddos each Wednesday until the last week in August.  It wont be anything to challenging or expensive, just a fun way to keep their little minds busy and to keep us all sane.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The activity for the week is: catching fireflies!
It is such a fun and simple idea but the kids REALLY love it. 

First you need a jar of some kind.



I find an old pickle jar or mason jar works perfectly. You will need to punch some holes in the lid for them to breathe, just make sure they aren't to big or the fireflies can escape. It helps to put a moistened paper towel and some grass in the jar as well so the air does not dry out quickly. We are going to let the fireflies go when we are done so we want to make sure we don't harm them in the process. 


The next free night you have, wait until its just about to get dark,  grab your jar and get catching! Once you catch one the rest just flock to you and you will have a full jar in no time. Dont have a backyard, maybe you live in a city? Dont worry, I grew up in NYC and I was still able to partake in firefly catching. I have such fond memories of my sisters and I catching fireflies when we were young at our local park. It really is the simple things that makes children happy.

Have fun and be safe!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I totally remember doing this like a million years ago and it was so much fun!

    I happened upon your blog and your so right about simple things. I really enjoyed it. Its funny but sometimes I take my dog at at 3 or 4 in the morning and a firefly will light up and it brings me back.

    And it always feels so good!

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the comment Tracy! Your my first official comment =) And yes, it truly is the simple things. Sometimes I think adults get to caught up & we just need to slow down and take some cues from the kiddos!
    PS - Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete